LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
The Iron King - Julie Kagawa I'd heard some great things about this book prior to reading it and really wanted to try it out for myself. I really loved The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa and really wanted to pick up another piece of her writing. I really love the cover: it's eye-capturing and interesting and I wish I'd bought it in physical form rather than on my Kindle so that I could really admire the cover properly.I didn't enjoy this book as much as The Immortal Rules and found it quite slow at the start. The writing irritated me a little bit as well and I found that I didn't quite get in to it. There was a part of me that just didn't want to like this book. It did, however, get better.When we first met Meghan I began to like her. I didn't love her immediately but she did warm to me. She's nothing compared to Allison Sekemoto from The Immortal Rules, but they're completely different characters. I did feel a little sorry for her, what with her mum and Luke always forgetting about her. I wouldn't have liked that if I were her.Puck! Yay for Puck! I really liked Puck, I didn't go crazy and love him in a 'I want to faint at your feet' way but I did really like him. He cared for Meghan and that's what really matters.The book got ten times more amazing when Ash was introduced. Yes, Ash. Ash is amazing. I just want to read about him all day! He was a completely awesome love interest and I instantly warmed to him. The plot was really interesting and I loved reading all about the faery realm and the mythology and folklore. I'll definitely be reading the rest in the series (how could I resist Ash?!)Overall I really enjoyed reading this, and although it isn't one of my favourites, I would highly recommend it, especially to people who enjoyed the Wings series by Aprilynne Pike or Lament by Maggie Stiefvater.Rating: 4/5