LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
Vortex - Julie Cross After reading Tempest, I knew that I had to read Vortex. Tempest left on a huge cliffhanger that left me reeling and I really didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. Vortex, it is safe to say, blew me away. The pressure is on. After making a tough decision, Jackson Meyer must try and get on with his life. It’s not easy to let go of the girl you love but maybe it won’t be so hard, now that Jackson has other things on his mind. In his new role at Tempest, a division of the CIA, Jackson has to work hard. And when a new, conflicting division, Eyewall, turns up, the drama really starts. After reading a few reviews for Vortex, I wasn’t sure what I would think of it. Quite a few people said that this was a very different novel to Tempest and so I was a little wary. I really shouldn’t have been so cautious, though, because, in my opinion, this novel was ten times better. One of the major themes in this novel is change. As a character, Jackson has grown and adapted to fit the focus of the book. We finally see him mature from an inexperienced boy to a full grown adult, with a lot of responsibilities. I certainly thought that this different version of Jackson was a much better one. There really are some shocking twists in this novel, especially the ending. I really had to stop myself from crying at the end because it was extremely emotional. Cross has the ability to make the reader laugh one minute, and cry the next. I may need a box of tissues when reading the third book. The Tempest novels really do have some of the best covers. I know that they’re one of the first books I see when I enter the teen section of my bookshop and that is because they’re quite different to any other covers. Vortex, particularly, is spectacular and I love the bright shades of blue that ensure it’s not missed. Vortex really surprised me; maybe because a lot of sequels are a bit of a disappointment nowadays. I’ll definitely be reading the final instalment in the trilogy because I just have to know what happens next.