LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith This is a book that I have wanted to read for a while. It sounded like a good contemporary and so I decided to pick it up.The novel starts in an airport where we meet Hadley, who is on her way to London. She meets Oliver, a boy who is also travelling to London and they immediately have a connection. Set over a 24 hour period, this novel is all about teenage love, woes and adventures.I wasn't too keen on the style of writing in which this book was written. It mean that I couldn't get close to the main character, Hadley, and I felt very detached. It wasn't a style that it commonly used and so it took a lot of getting used to. I liked Hadley, but I just didn't get to know her well enough. Her character was poorly written and I would have liked to have seen more scenes that really revealed her personality. I found that she could act quite selfish, as well.Oliver was a much more likable character but his behaviour was a little erratic. He wasn't very solid and I really don't understand why he would just choose to approach Hadley in a busy airport.My main problem with this novel was that it was so short. There weren't enough pages to get to know the characters well enough and I think that if it were to be made a little longer then I would enjoy it more.Before people start thinking I'm a horrible person, I must add that I loved the romantic side of this novel. It was played out just right and was very sweet.I really wanted to enjoy this novel but it really didn't do much for me. I would like to read another book by the author to see how it compares, though.