LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell You can read more of my reviews at Queen of ContemporaryHey, Fangirl? I love you. And I mean, really love you. I think you may even be one of my favourite books of the year so far, and that’s saying something because I’ve read some really amazing things so far this year. The only other book of Rowell’s that I read previous to picking this up was Eleanor & Park, which has quickly become one of my favourite books and so I was thrilled when I was offered this to review. I was extremely lucky as I know a lot of far more experienced bloggers who were declined the chance to review this.Fangirl is about a girl called Cath who has a twin sister called Wren. Wren and Cath are both starting their freshman year in college and so are experiencing very big changes. Wren has decided that she doesn’t want to room with Cath and has separated herself from Cath.Cath is a major Simon Snow fan, a fictional book that isn’t unlike ‘Harry Potter.’ You name it- t-shirts, posters, her own fan fiction account- and Cath has got it. She has immersed herself in the world of Simon Snow.Told over a period of a year, Fangirl tells the story of Cath getting used to her new life and also brings up old struggles.Cath was a very easy character to relate to. It’s not very often that I can say I empathise with a character, but I did with Cath because we are very alike. At times I wondered if Rowell was writing about my own life. Cath loves reading. Do I? Check. Cath loves writing. Check. Cath would rather stay in and read or write than go out. Check. Cath has quickly become one of my favourite female characters.As always, Rainbow Rowell has delivered on the romance side and I kept wanting MORE. More of those adorable scenes, please! I just ate them up.There are a lot of subjects broached including mental health issues and alcohol abuse. I thought both things were dealt with in a mature manner and in a way that the reader could understand, even if they had no history of either things.I really want more of Fangirl. I’m already imagining different scenarios and what could possibly happen after the novel’s end. It was such an amazing and beautiful book and I’m so glad that I requested it because it made me realise that it’s okay to be your own person and to do what you want. As long as you’re happy. Rainbow Rowell is definitely one of my favourite authors and I’ll read anything she writes.