LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell You can read more of my reviews at Queen of ContemporaryI read this book with Rebekah from Reflections of a BookwormEleanor & Park blew me away. Having wanted to read this since I saw John Green’s review a while back, I finally decided to cave in and buy it. I’m so, so glad I did because this is now one of my favourite books of all time.Set in 1986 Omaha, Eleanor & Park will take you back to the past and make you aware of how different life was then. I really loved the mentioning of books, video games and music because it gave the reader a connection to the characters and their lives.Eleanor was a character that I really felt for. Her life was so hard and she really didn’t deserve the treatment that she got. Her way of life was something that we’re not used to nowadays. She was neither living without food or water, nor living in luxury. She didn’t have commodities like a toothbrush or a telephone and so her life wassomething that we couldn’t even fathom in today’s society.Park was incredibly cute and quirky. I thought he was a welcome change to the normal male characters that we’re used to seeing in YA fiction because he wasn’t a bad boy, nor was he sad or lost. He was simply discovering himself and I thought it was nice to see such a difference.This book lacks huge drama (there’s no quest to overthrow a tyrannical leader, no weird and mystical creatures to kill) but this makes it even better. It was easy to fit into Eleanor and Park’s lifestyle and even easier to just lose yourself in the words. The romance was slowly built up and very subtle. It was very true to real life.This book tackles body image and how people view themselves. It’s something that I’d like to see more of in YA fiction because it’s such an important topic. This was a sweet and compelling read. I’m definitely going to be reading the other books by this author because this one has captured my heart.