LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
Infinite Sky - C.J. Flood You can read more of my reviews at Queen of ContemporaryIn this deep and heartfelt novel, Flood appeals to the readers emotions and sends them on a whirlwind journey of discovery.When a family of travellers move into the paddock behind Iris Dancy’s farmhouse, she is immediately transfixed. Who are these people, and why does her dad hate them so much?This book deals with tough subjects such as prejudice and discrimination and I think those subjects were dealt with in a very good manner. The hostility that was aimed towards the characters was disgusting, but very well written.It’s very hard to read this book and not get hit by a wave of emotions. Iris, our main character, is very mature and has to deal with a lot of hard issues in this book. She was a likeable character and I really did want to read more about her.I was expecting that there would be a heavy romance in this book but there actually wasn’t. I thought this would be something that I would hate because I love romantic novels but, instead, it was full of these incredibly sweet moments and I don’t think you could say that this is a romance novel.This was actually a good thing because it meant that the reader was able to focus on the bigger points in the novel, which there were plenty of.Trick was a very interesting character. I felt like we got to know him, only for him to do something which would change my opinion of him. I don’t mean that in a bad way because I liked him throughout but his character was constantly developing, which was a nice thing to see.I read this book within a day and couldn’t put it down. It was an emotional and thrilling read and I’m looking forward to seeing more from this debut author in the future.