LucyTheReader

Queen of Contemporary

I run a YA and Teen book blog but do review other things, too. My blog, Queen of Contemporary, has been running since April 2012.

Agnes Grey
Angeline Goreau, Anne Brontë
The Testing
Joelle Charbonneau
Shift
Kim Curran
The Bone Dragon
Alexia Casale
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  - J.K. Rowling You can read more of my reviews at Queen of ContemporaryI cannot believe that I’ve waited this long to read this series. I’ve had this on my shelf since January but still haven’t bothered to pick it up until now. I am so angry with myself because I should have read them ages ago, especially as it’s now one of my favourite books of all time! We first meet Harry when he is eleven years old. I don’t normally read books with protagonists as young as that but it really worked with the third person narration. Harry is treated appallingly by his aunt and uncle, them favouring his cousin Dudley. In their eyes, Dudley can do no wrong. One of the best things about this book was the world building. I immersed myself in the wizarding world and felt so comfortable learning about it. I loved Diagon Alley and Hogwarts. The depth that Rowling has gone to to create such a world is amazing. I was blown away by the attention to detail.I loved all of the characters. Even the ones you’re supposed to hate (Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle etc.) did something to me and they’re such an important part of the story. And I love Hagrid. And Dumbledore. And Professor McGonagall. AND GINNY WEASLEY! I’ve even named my guinea pig after her!I’ve already started reading the rest in the series and they get better and better. I definitely know why so many people have raved about them because THEY NEED TO BE RAVED ABOUT.